Wednesday, November 14, 2012

November 2012 Ipsy/Glam Bag!

I got the November Ipsy/Glam Bag yesterday, and as it's the first I've received since beginning this blog, I thought I'd share my take on the contents!

For those who don't know, Ipsy/My Glam Bags is a monthly subscription service of 5-6 deluxe sized samples in a cute bag for $10 a month! You can find out more information here. I personally really like Ipsy, as I tend to get into a rut with products, and since the $10 is automatically deducted from my bank account each month, I hardly miss it. Win-Win, right?

The theme this month was "Party Perfect!" Personally, brown, berry, and gold don't scream "party" to me, but it IS fall, and the colors are very wearable at this point in the season.
  
Not much to say about the actual bag this month, it's brown with a gold zipper. The color evokes thoughts of chocolate, but sadly the material the bag is made of looks and feels cheap. It's about the same size as the last one, but definitely not as unique or cute. (A heavy feeling black and white chevron print with a red zipper.)

 Upon opening the bag, I didn't think I'd be enthusiastic about ANY of the products. Chella brow gel, Nailtini nail polish in Millionaire, The Balm Meet Matt Batali eyeshadow, Starlet Peace Love and Chocolate eyeliner crayon, and Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie lip gloss in Dare Devil. 
(Left to right) Peace Love and Chocolate eye crayon, Matt Batali eyeshadow, Marvelous Moxie Dare Devil lipgloss.
Upon swatching and trying MOST of the products, I was able to turn that frown upside down!

 Chella Brow Gel:
I have "unique" eyebrows. From a young age I was asked by my peers if I'd tried to shave half of mine off. The answer is no. I could probably benefit from a decent brow pencil, but honestly, I don't really care about my eyebrows. They give me personality. And this brow gel... gives me NOTHING. I might use it to seal in picky mascaras... but really, I'm not going to get mileage out of this. The tube it comes in is very nice, and the brush seems nice. Definitely a smell of alcohol to it though.


Nailtini Nail Polish in Millionaire: 
This is the only product from the bag I haven't actually tried on my body. It looks pretty fun, even though I don't like bar glitter. It's got little flecks of red micro-glitter, larger bars of tealish glitter, and gold micro AND bar glitter. I might have been more excited about this had I not just bought two nail polishes the day I received my bag!

 
The Balm Meet Matt Batali: 
I've actually got a LOT to say about Matt Batali. First, about the name. I've googled Matt Batali. I cant FIND one. I mentioned this to my Fiance, and he got all sorts of wiggly and excited. Matt Albie is a character played by Matt Perry in an Aaron Sorkin show called Studio 60. My fiance is a MASSIVE Sorkin fan boy. Tim Batali is a creation of Matt Albie's mind... an alter ego of himself in a bunch of flashbacks. So, as there aren't any Matt Batali's that we could find with our limited attention spans on google, he's thinking that one of "The Balm's favorite Matts'" is actually a nod to Aaron Sorkin. I'm going to be linking this post to The Balm, and possibly emailing them about this.

On with the review!
Left eye is Matt Batali blended with Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze, then lined with Matt Batali and E.L.F. Primer. Right eye is just Matt Batali with E.L.F. Primer, for shadow and liner.
I'm not a  big fan of matte shadows. They're by rule hard to blend. This one is about average for me, in terms of blend-ability. I definitely needed a primer to make the shadow stick. Color wise... this... dark...brown...black...purple....thing... is not too bad once it;s on the eyes!I tried wearing it straight with a primer, tried wearing it blended out with some color tattoo shadow, and then tried it applied  over a primer with an eyeliner brush... I must say I like it best as a liner.


Starlet Peace, Love and Chocolate Eyeliner Crayon:
When I looked at the name, and then the crayon tip, I felt that chocolate was a fitting name for this color. Once I put it on my fare skin, and saw the lovely twinge of gingery-orange in this matte pencil... I got excited. Being a brown liner virgin, I tried it immediately, and don't know if I'll ever go back to my basic black liner pencils/crayons. This color works well with my eyes, skin tone, and hair color. It's also of a standard size, and resharpen-able. I'm so glad this was a full size product, as I'll be using it almost daily!
Starlet Peace, Love & Chocolate liner crayon, with Maybelline Color Tattoo in Barely Beige, and Bad to the Bronze, as well as L'oreal Infallible Shadow in Blinged and Brilliant.
Oh, you know I saved the best for last.


Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie lip gloss:
It applies like a dream. It's a thick glossy gloss with shimmer, and a lovely light berry tint. It goes on lighter than it appears in the bottle, and is not too sticky. It stays on your lips well, which is incredible. It's by Bare Minerals, so you KNOW it's good. It's on the sheer side, and is very likely one of those shades that look amazing on everyone.

The BEST part of it is, the peppermint oil! I didn't read the ingredients, but this gloss has a DEFINITE dose of Peppermint!!! Perfect to keep you in the holiday mood, or leave someone with a parting peppermint kiss!

It's safe to say that I'll be getting SOME use out of this month's bag. I'm actually pretty excited that I got to try out one of The Balm's shadows... I think based on pigmentation I will definitely look for more next time I'm at Sephora or Ulta. I'd like to get some of their shimmers, and maybe some candy colored mattes.

No comments:

Post a Comment