Thursday, November 22, 2012

Cocktail Dress?

This year Maybelline put out some brilliant limited edition polishes. Their latest Color Show collection was called "Sequins." Being a massive glitter fiend, as I am, I spotted the perfect shade for myself immediately. Cocktail Dress, a sparkly smokey gel base with black, and silver micro glitters, and larger red chips. Perfect for a pseudo=goth-pinup right? Especially in the coming months, for all those super fun parties!

Before I show swatches, or give my two cents, I'd like to say that the Color Show line is sadly hit or miss. Shocking Seas, is my go-to teal polish, and as a plus it's from their super affordable main line. Same with Onyx Rush. Auburn Ablaze, from their Fall 2012 line, is stunning in the bottle, but definitely needs a bunch of coats, or a strong base coat of a solid color. Also from their Fall 2012 line, Pink Cosmo, redefines the term "Sheer." It's amazing in the bottle, but far too sheer to do much with, aside from topcoat a strong base with. Having said all of that, I do find Maybelline Color Show polishes to wear pretty well.


...until Cocktail Dress.

I cant even show you this polish on my nails, because of the two times I've worn it, it's lasted less than 24 hours. I did some swatches on some junk mail. For a glitter, it dries super quick, and rather matte, so a topcoat is a necessity.
One coat, two coats, three coats, and black base with one coat. All swatches have a topcoa
 My first wear with this polish lasted through the night, and about half way into my work day. I work with my hands, so I figured it was just me, and that I'd need another coat or two of a topcoat.

Tonight, when I tried it again, it literally PEELED OFF MY NAILS within 20 mins of drying. I was removing excess polish, and almost like a nail sticker, the polish peeled right off.

I hope that anyone out there has a more positive experience with this Polish, but I will be telling my friends to avoid it from here on out!

Now... what shall I wear for my Black Friday manicure?!

No comments:

Post a Comment